A rib fracture is a fracture or a break in one or more of the bones making up the rib cage. This is a painful injury, but not actually as dangerous as when a rib bone is completely broken in two. Rib fracture is very common in golf and usually occurs when a player have a hard impact to the chest such as an elbow.
In Golf, rib fracture occurs because of the repetitive trauma and the golf swing which produces a complex loading pattern involving shear, compression and axial portion loads. Rib fracture in golfers have been reported very high in the literature and ranked fifth in terms of the frequency of reported cases among 19 different sports.
Due to the potential seriousness of rib fracture, all golfers need to be on their toes and take all the necessary steps to prevents Rib fracture injury, or get immediate medical treatment.
Symptoms of a rib fracture in golfers are:-
1) Golfer feels pain when he breathe in deeply or when he cough or sneeze.
2) Golfer feels pain and swelling at a particular point in the ribs.
3) Golfer feels pain at a specific point when somebody presses in over the whole of his rib cage.
4) Golfer feels anxious, restlessness or scared
5) Golfer have a headache
6) Lastly, golfer can feel dizzy, tired or sleepy.
Treating and rehabilitating a fractured rib of a golfer:-
1) Broken ribs will take about six weeks to heal fully.
2) Pain medications are most commonly used during healing and from pain relief.
3) Rest, ice, and wearing a chest binder are also very helpful.
4) If golfer’s injury caused any complications then treatment may become extensive and may require surgery.
5) If any organs or internal structure are damaged then the injury may be life-threatening.
6) The best way is to consult the doctor immediately. A doctor can X-ray the ribs of a golfer and rule out any internal damage.
7) Physical therapy will also help the golfer in maintaining range of motion in shoulder and arm joints.
Possible Complications of a Rib Fracture are:-
1) If the lower ribs are fractured, then there is the risk of damage to the liver, spleen or kidneys.
2) If the middle ribs are fractured, then bleeding is possible and a punctured lung may result collapsed lung.
3) If the upper ribs are fractured, then it may include a major blood vessel puncture, such as the aorta.
Due to the potential seriousness of rib fracture, all golfers need to be on their toes and take all the necessary steps to prevent rib fracture injury, or get immediate medical treatment. With early diagnosis and proper rest for four to eight weeks, the pain will improve. By overusing poor techniques and inadequate stretch will probably lead to the fracture of the rib.